Connect with us

Latest

Casino boss defends closure of iconic Primm resorts amid backlash from founding family

Published

on

The CEO behind the company shutting down a group of iconic Nevada casino properties has defended the decision, telling gaming regulators the once-popular gambling stop is no longer financially sustainable.

Primm, Nevada, was once home to three bustling properties long viewed as affordable alternatives to Las Vegas, just across the California-Nevada border.

This month, it was announced that the last of the three hotels, Primm Valley Resort & Casino, is scheduled to close July 4. That closure is expected to eliminate 344 jobs, according to Fox 5 Las Vegas.

CASINO RESORTS IN NEVADA LOCATION, ONCE PACKED, BECOME GHOST TOWN AS CLOSURE NEARS

Affinity Interactive CEO Scott Butera told the Gaming Control Board on Thursday that Primm is “just not viable as a casino operation,” the Nevada Independent reported.

The executive cited ongoing financial losses and unsuccessful investment efforts as reasons for the closure.

“It’s been losing money, and we’ve been investing a lot of money over the years to no avail,” Butera said. “We’ve tried many things there, including building a new sign and new slot machines.”

Butera was pressed by Mike Dreitzer, the Gaming Control Board chair, who told him the board was monitoring the situation “with grave concern for the community.”

LAS VEGAS TOURISM DROPS SHARPLY AS SOME VISITORS CLAIM ‘CASINOS ARE EMPTY’ AMID RISING COSTS

“This is of critical importance to the state, and good faith is not only requested, but it’s required,” said Dreitzer, the Nevada Independent reported.

Butera said Affinity is “working very closely with the landlord,” and cited a “potential suitor” who might revitalize the property.

“We’re hoping that we’ll have a transition on the property, but we are exiting as the tenant,” he said.

CASINOS BRACE AS LAS VEGAS TOURISM PLUNGES 7.5% IN SHARPEST ANNUAL VISITOR DECLINE OUTSIDE COVID PANDEMIC

Affinity Interactive and its principal owner, New York-based private equity firm Z Capital, have leased and operated the Primm properties for nearly 15 years.

The closure drew criticism from the Primm family.

Cory Clemetson, president of Primm’s landowner group and grandson of town founder Ernie Primm, denounced the decision to close in a statement shared with Fox News Digital.

CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR OUR LIFESTYLE NEWSLETTER

“If the Primm properties go dark, so does the welcome they have provided over the decades,” Clemetson said.

“It is contrary to our values to let that happen without exploring all options,” he said.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE LIFESTYLE STORIES

Clemetson added that he and his family are working “tirelessly” to explore ways to revive the Primm properties.

“Be assured that we’re working toward a revitalized Primm and a return to better days,” Clemetson said.

The first two casino hotels to shut down — Whiskey Pete’s and Buffalo Bill’s Resort & Casino — closed in December 2024 and scaled back to special-event operations in July 2025.

Primm has seen “a slow decline” in the past 15 to 20 years, an expert told Fox News Digital earlier in May.

“A lot of people used to stop there,” said Amanda Belarmino, an associate professor of hospitality at UNLV.

“Since casinos are more readily accessible, Primm lost some of that appeal.”

TEST YOURSELF WITH OUR LATEST LIFESTYLE QUIZ

Fox News Digital reached out to Affinity Interactive for reaction to Butera’s comments.

Teresa Mull of Fox News Digital contributed reporting.

Continue Reading

Latest

Caitlin Clark leads Fever in scoring as Indiana secures third consecutive WNBA win

Published

on

The Indiana Fever ruled Caitlin Clark out of Wednesday’s game against the Portland Fire with a back injury less than two hours before tipoff, marking her first missed game of the season.

Indiana went on to beat the Fire 90-73, but Clark’s late scratch raised concerns about her availability for Friday’s matchup against the Golden State Valkyries.

Those concerns proved short-lived, as Clark was back in the lineup just two days later.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

Clark was not listed on the Fever’s injury report Thursday, and despite missing practice the previous day, she returned to score 22 points in Indiana’s 90-82 win at Gainbridge Fieldhouse.

The 2024 WNBA Rookie of the Year also recorded nine assists, finishing just shy of a double-double.

FEVER GET WARNING FROM LEAGUE OVER CAITLIN CLARK INJURY REPORTING

In the third quarter, Clark knocked down another 3-pointer from well beyond the arc.

Fever center Aliyah Boston finished second in scoring Friday night with 20 points and 16 rebounds, recording a double-double.

The Fever and Valkyries will switch venues when they meet again Thursday in San Francisco.

A string of injuries sidelined Clark in 2025, limiting the NCAA’s all-time scoring leader to 13 games in her second WNBA season. The injury woes last year included a groin strain followed by an ankle bone bruise.

Also on Thursday, Clark unveiled the cover art of her upcoming children’s picture book, “EXTRAordinary! A Little EXTRA to Reach BIG Dreams.”

The book, which is scheduled for release in November, draws from Clark’s life — one she said is “like few others.”

Continue Reading

Latest

‘Illicit’ version of fentanyl linked to deadly New Mexico incident that sickened first responders

Published

on

Authorities on Friday identified the mystery substance that hospitalized more than a dozen first responders after they responded to a New Mexico home where three people died in a suspected overdose incident.

Officials said first responders were exposed to fentanyl after arriving at a home in Mountainair, New Mexico, where four people were found unresponsive.

Two victims were pronounced dead at the scene, while a third later died at the University of New Mexico Hospital. A fourth person survived.

“Preliminary findings indicate this incident is tied to exposure to a powdered opioid substance within the home, and on-scene DEA laboratory analysis has confirmed the presence of fentanyl, methamphetamine, and para-fluorofentanyl, also called P4 fentanyl,” New Mexico State Police Chief Matt Broom said during a news conference.

DEMOCRATIC GOVERNOR DECLARES STATE OF EMERGENCY IN CRIME-RIDDEN COUNTY

“It’s a more illicit form or version of fentanyl,” he added.

Authorities said the drugs were found in powder form.

Officials said 25 people were exposed to the substance, with 20 hospitalized for treatment before being released.

ROBERT DE NIRO’S GRANDSON’S OVERDOSE DEATH LEADS TO FIVE ARRESTS

Two individuals remain hospitalized after arriving in serious condition, police said.

Authorities identified two of the people who died as Micah Rascon, 51, and Georgia Rascon, 49.

Both the survivor and one of the deceased were administered the overdose medication Narcan.

FENTANYL EXPOSURE SCARE FORCES COURTROOM EVACUATION DURING ACTIVE TRIAL

Authorities said numerous first responders began experiencing symptoms including nausea and dizziness.

“These men and women responded to a dangerous situation while working to protect lives and secure the scene,” Broom said. “We especially recognize the first responders who became sick while carrying out their duties.”

Torrance County Fire Chief Gary Smith said firefighters did not enter the home wearing hazmat protection because the situation did not initially appear to require it.

He added officials would review the response procedures moving forward.

“I mean, we’re only as good as our last call, right?” Smith said. “There’ll be multiple debriefings that we’re going to be doing over the next week or two to find out where our strengths were and where our weaknesses were.”

The incident remains under investigation.

Continue Reading

Latest

WWE Hall of Famer Nikki Bella challenges WNBA stars Caitlin Clark and Sophie Cunningham to a match

Published

on

Athletes and celebrities get in on wrestling all the time, and now WWE Hall of Famer Nikki Bella is calling for WNBA stars Caitlin Clark and Sophie Cunningham.

From the mere mention of that, the powers that be at the WWE are thinking about how they would swan-dive, Scrooge McDuck-style, into a pile of money if this happened.

According to ClutchPoints, late last year, Cunningham was asked which wrestlers she would like to face in a match.

ZERO BS. JUST DAKICH. TAKE THE DON’T @ ME PODCAST ON THE ROAD. DOWNLOAD NOW!

Nikki Bella’s name came up, and now she’s responding.

In an interview with Sports Illustrated, Bella didn’t just accept; she called on Cunningham to round up her Indiana Fever teammate, Clark, to make this a tag match with her and her twin sister and fellow Hall of Famer, Brie Bella.

“Sophie Cunningham has said that she’s wanted to take me on, so I’d like to take her and Caitlin Clark on; that’d be fun,” Bella said. “She started it; we’ll finish it.”

FEVER’S SOPHIE CUNNINGHAM REVELS IN POSSIBILITIES WITH NEW TEAMMATE CAITLIN CLARK: ‘SHE JUST WANTS TO WIN’

All right. I’ve heard enough. This needs to happen.

Hey, if the WNBA isn’t going to capitalize on Caitlin Clark’s popularity, then others are going to. IndyCar has her serving as the grand marshal for this year’s Indianapolis 500, so why wouldn’t the WWE want to find a way to get her in the ring?

They’ve thrown celebrities in matches many times over the years. Jelly Roll has wrestled a couple of times recently.

So, c’mon, let’s make this happen.

Of course, it can’t happen too soon.

Last month, Nikki Bella had to step aside from the Bella Twins’ match at WrestleMania and was replaced by Paige, who made her big return to the WWE. Brie Bella and Paige ended up winning the match and are currently the WWE Women’s Tag Team Champions.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2026 Political Signal