Latest
Sanders-backed gubernatorial hopeful’s past pro-life views clash with current abortion stance
A Democratic gubernatorial hopeful in Maine, who is scheduled to campaign with Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., on Sunday and Monday, has been pitching himself to voters as a pro-choice candidate for governor, but his track record indicates that wasn’t always his stance.
As a state lawmaker, he received a 100% rating from the Maine Right to Life — a designation indicating a voting record wholly consistent with pro-life policies.
Jackson’s reversal demonstrates the fallout of the Dobbs v. Jackson Supreme Court decision that ended a constitutional right to an abortion and made the issue, previously a federal debate, a state-driven consideration.
In their 2022 decision, the Supreme Court ruled that no guarantee of a right to an abortion existed in the Constitution, meaning that individual states would have to decide on a case-by-case basis where to draw the line under what circumstances residents could legally end a pregnancy.
Maine, with Jackson’s help, immediately passed expansions to abortion access, removing restrictions on late-term abortions.
The move prompted praise for Jackson from Planned Parenthood, the country’s largest abortion provider.
“We applaud President Jackson and the 20 state senators and 76 representatives acting in the best interest of Mainers today,” Planned Parenthood wrote in a press release.
Just 10 years earlier, Jackson had voted for a bill in 2011 that would have affirmed personhood in the womb.
Two years later, in 2013, Jackson also voted to advance counseling requirements for women considering an abortion, providing them with second-opinion resources designed to explore alternatives to ending a pregnancy.
Both of those efforts failed.
PUERTO RICO GOVERNOR SIGNS LAW RECOGNIZING UNBORN BABIES AS HUMAN BEINGS
Even so, they garnered enough attention to put Jackson on the radar of abortion rights groups — and not in a good way.
In 2014, EMILY’s List, a pro-abortion group, launched a six-figure TV ad campaign against Jackson, according to local reporting.
“Politicians should not be involved in a woman’s personal medical decisions about her pregnancy. Period,” Emily Cain, Jackson’s primary opponent in 2014, told the Portland Press Herald.
As recently as October 2022, just four months after the Dobbs decision, Jackson told local reporters he was struggling with the issue.
Since declaring his candidacy for governor last May, Jackson seems to have left that struggle behind.
“The right to decide if and when to start a family is fundamental to our freedom and to who we are as Americans. It is a deeply personal decision that should not be made by politicians or justices,” Jackson said in a post to Instagram last year.
“On the anniversary of the overturning of Roe v. Wade, I will continue to fight back against efforts to undermine abortion rights and stand up for reproductive freedom in Maine,” Jackson wrote.
Sanders, who has supported abortion and has run as a pro-choice candidate for decades, officially endorsed Jackson on Friday, calling him the governor “that working Mainers need.”
“Troy is different,” Sanders said. “Fighting for the working class of Maine is not something new for Troy. That’s what he has done for his entire life as a logger and as a member of the Maine state legislature. Troy knows what’s going on with the working class of Maine because he’s part of that working class.”
‘WE’VE INVITED YOU’: CHRIS WALLACE SPARS WITH GILLIBRAND OVER ABORTION CONTROVERSY
“Troy has also been part of our progressive working class movement from the beginning,” he continued. “He has always stood with those of us who understand that health care is a human right, that workers deserve a living wage, and that we need a government that works for all-not just the ultra-wealthy and well-connected.”
Notably, Jackson does not list abortion access as a top priority on his campaign website.
In Maine, there is no strict cutoff that prevents abortion at any point in a pregnancy, although some protections apply after viability, around the 24 to 26 week mark. Late-term abortions are permissible with the approval of a licensed physician.
Fox News Digital reached out to Sanders and Jackson’s campaign.
Latest
Gunshots Heard Outside White House
Continuous rounds of gunfire could be heard from outside the White House on Saturday evening, sparking a lockdown order from the U.S. Secret Service.
The post Gunshots Heard Outside White House appeared first on Breitbart.
Latest
Vanessa Trump calls Tiger Woods her ‘strength’ amid breast cancer diagnosis in touching social media post
Vanessa Trump, the former daughter-in-law of President Donald Trump, shared a heartfelt message on social media, calling boyfriend Tiger Woods her “strength” as she navigates her recent breast cancer diagnosis.
Vanessa shared a photo of the five children she shares with Donald Trump Jr. and another with the golf legend in a series of posts on Instagram Stories on Friday.
“My strength through it all! Family and the closest people to me,” she wrote in a caption on each post.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM
The post came just days after Vanessa announced that she was diagnosed with breast cancer and had recently undergone a procedure.
“I’ve recently been diagnosed with breast cancer. While this isn’t news anyone expects, I’m working closely with my medical team on a treatment plan. I would like to thank my doctors for performing a procedure earlier this week on me. I am staying focused and hopeful while surrounded by the love and support of my family, my kids, and those closest to me,” he post read.
“Thank you for your kindness and support. It truly means more than I can express. I kindly ask for privacy as I focus on my health and recovery.
The photo posted by Vanessa on Friday was the same photo Woods shared on X when he first announced his relationship with her in March 2025.
“Love is in the air and life is better with you by my side! We look forward to our journey through life together,” he wrote in an X post at the time. “At this time we would appreciate privacy for all those close to our hearts.”
She recently posted a message supporting Woods after he was arrested on DUI charges in Florida back in March.
Woods was spotted earlier this month getting off his private plane at Palm Beach International Airport after staying in Switzerland for several weeks. He was previously granted permission on April 1 to travel out of the country “to enter into comprehensive inpatient treatment.”
Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.
Latest
White House lockdown lifted after gunman brandishes pistol, fires multiple shots near grounds
Fox News has learned a male gunman armed with a pistol opened fire Saturday afternoon near the White House in Washington, D.C., engaging with the U.S. Secret Service.
Fox News Chief congressional correspondent Chad Pergram reported that at about 6 p.m. local time, a gunman fired about three shots toward the executive mansion and Secret Service agents returned fire, according to a senior administration official with direct knowledge of the incident.
The White House was placed on lockdown, which was later lifted.
The shooting unfolded near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW, prompting a lockdown that was later lifted, according to the Secret Service.
A nearby civilian on the street was shot in the exchange, and their condition is unknown, the senior official said.
As many as 30 shots were reportedly heard in the direction of the Eisenhower Executive Office Building.
The senior official said the suspect never got inside the general perimeter of the White House grounds.
All members of the Secret Service were reported safe.
FBI Director Kash Patel said his agency’s agents are at the scene and “supporting Secret Service responding to shots fired near White House grounds.”
Secret Service agents were heard telling reporters to “get down,” before the press were ushered into the James S. Brady Press Briefing Room in the West Wing.
Secret Service agents were seen on the grounds with their weapons drawn.
Hours before the alleged gunfire rang out, President Donald Trump announced the administration was close to finalizing a deal to end the war with Iran, noting he was in the White House Oval Office.
This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.
-
Latest1 month agoVance Leaves Meeting, Looks Straight Into Camera, Announces Stunning Arrest
-
News1 month agoAdam Schiff Facing 30 Years In Prison After Bank Records Leak
-
Latest1 month agoSupreme Curt Sides With Trump — He Can Remove The All
-
News1 month agoAll Hell Breaks Loose On Fox When Jesse Watters Asks Fetterman One Question
-
News1 month agoNBC Stops LIVE Broadcast — Breaks Big Trump News
-
News1 month agoSwalwell Facing Jail Time After Sickening New Video Leaks
-
Latest1 month agoTrump Pulls Off Miracle Of A Lifetime — It’s Permanently Open
-
Latest1 month agoUT Judge Drops Bombshell In Charlie Kirk Killer Case
