Latest
Video shows parolee’s attempted home invasion at city attorney’s house amid political violence fears: cops
A registered sex offender armed with a knife was allegedly caught on surveillance video prowling outside the home of a California city attorney in a predawn encounter that is intensifying concerns over violent repeat offenders and rising political violence nationwide.
The public official targeted was Fresno City Attorney Andrew Janz, whose wife and young daughter were inside the home when the suspect allegedly approached the property around 3:30 a.m. Sunday.
The unsettling footage shows a man identified by authorities as 56-year-old Larry Orduna Torrez carrying a knife and wearing black gloves as he approaches the residence.
In the video, the suspect appears to ring the front doorbell while gripping the weapon before moving toward the backyard and jumping a fence.
REGISTERED SEX OFFENDER’S CITY COUNCIL BID SPARKS FURY AS OFFICIALS EXPLORE BLOCKING HIS PATH
Seconds later, banging can be heard at the rear of the home as sheriff’s deputies move in and detain the suspect.
Deputies responding to the home on North Van Ness Boulevard arrested Torrez on suspicion of attempted first-degree burglary, trespassing and threatening a public official, according to the Fresno County Sheriff’s Office and jail records reviewed by Fox News Digital.
Authorities told Fox News Digital that Torrez is both a parolee and a registered sex offender known to Fresno law enforcement and public officials.
Fresno County jail records show Torrez was booked into custody May 17 and is also being held on a parole hold. His bail was set at $30,000 on the felony attempted burglary charge.
The incident comes as California faces mounting scrutiny over repeat offenders and parole decisions involving violent and sexual predators, including growing criticism surrounding the release of convicted sex offenders with lengthy criminal histories.
“I have a little girl at home. It was a very traumatic incident,” Janz told Fresno ABC affiliate KFSN. “We’re doing the best that we can.”
Janz told Fox News Digital that his office recently defeated two legal matters Torrez had filed against the city and said the suspect appeared to have an obsession with Fresno City Hall and public officials.
“This is definitely an escalation from prior incidents,” Janz told KFSN. “I had a feeling that it was somebody that knew who I was or had some involvement with my work.”
The city attorney also revealed to Fox News Digital that in a separate incident the following night, someone set fire to a fence at his home.
Court records and prosecutors described Torrez as well known to local law enforcement and Fresno public officials. Fresno County prosecutor Victor Lai said in court that Torrez appeared to have “a fixation with the Fresno Police Department,” according to KFSN.
Torrez pleaded not guilty Wednesday to attempted burglary and trespass charges, KFSN reported. A judge ordered him to have no contact with Janz or his family.
The incident also comes as political violence continues to escalate across the United States.
POTENTIAL 2028 PRESIDENTIAL RIVALS RALLY BEHIND SHAPIRO AFTER ARSON AT GOVERNOR’S MANSION
Over the past several years, the country has witnessed assassination attempts against President Donald Trump, an arson attack at Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro’s residence while his family slept inside, the fatal shooting of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson in Manhattan, the assassination of Turning Point USA founder Charlie Kirk during a speaking event in Utah, and vandalism targeting Vice President JD Vance’s home in Ohio. State lawmakers in Minnesota were also targeted in deadly shootings at their homes last year.
“Political violence is on the rise,” Janz told KFSN. “Somebody’s going to get hurt here in Fresno.”
Nav Gurm, who is running to represent Fresno’s District 7 on the city council, also condemned the incident.
“Political violence has no place in our society,” Gurm said in a statement. “Glad to hear that Fresno City Attorney Andrew Janz and his family are safe after the disturbing incident at their home. No public official, or their loved ones, should ever have to endure threats or intimidation simply for doing their job.
“This kind of behavior undermines our democracy and must be fully investigated and condemned.”
Despite the terrifying encounter, Janz said he refused to be intimidated and returned to work the following day.
“I will not let threats or violence deter me from the good work that me and my staff do for the City of Fresno,” he said.
Fox News Digital’s Michael Ruiz contributed to this report.
Latest
Fox News True Crime Newsletter: Alex Murdaugh’s new defense, Luigi Mangione’s decision, Tyler Robinson’s fight
HARD-BOILED DRAMA: Murdaugh ‘egg juror’ fights to crack open jury tampering investigation with records in court clerk scandal
STAKES RAISED: Murdaugh defense plans alternate suspect push as DNA questions loom over retrial
DEFENSE BLITZ: Murdaugh sues court clerk after murder conviction overturned over jury tampering accusations
SCALES TIPPED: Becky Hill’s ‘disgraceful’ comments and book ambitions unraveled Murdaugh’s murder conviction: Docs
BLIND SPOT: New York’s ‘wrong-headed’ defendant-friendly laws helped toss Mangione evidence: retired cop
DECISION DAY: Mangione evidence ruling could determine what jurors see at his September murder trial
COURTROOM CLASH: Robinson’s defense team fights to seal evidence and punish prosecutors in Charlie Kirk’s assassination
SEALED LIPS: Robinson asks for more secret hearings after losing fight over cameras in court
HACKER’S TOOLBOX: ‘Wrench attack’ theory ratchets up fears of organized criminals in Guthrie case
LONG OVERDUE: DNA cracks 40-year cold case mystery with arrest in library worker’s savage slaying: police
CAUGHT CHEWING: Cold case killer who chewed cops’ undercover DNA bait faces survivor, families in courtroom showdown
DECADES LATER: Teen vanished from home decades ago – now feds hope new image and shifting loyalties reveal truth
‘MOST SINISTER WAY’: Influencer mom, lawyer dad accused of dark-web murder plot against boy-band baby daddy
DYNASTY DRAMA: Mango clothing tycoon’s son arrested in death of billionaire whose brand stretches across US
DOUBLE LIFE EXPOSED: Oklahoma woman discovers husband was a Canadian man who faked his death 37 years earlier in a barn fire
Latest
Knicks crush Cavaliers in Game 2, take commanding 2-0 lead in series behind Josh Hart’s career night
The New York Knicks didn’t need a historic comeback to take Game 2 of the Eastern Conference Finals from the Cleveland Cavaliers on Thursday.
Instead, it was a dominant victory in regulation, 109-93, as the Knicks take a commanding 2-0 lead in the best-of-seven series to Cleveland this weekend.
There was no hangover for the Cavaliers to begin the game, as they owned a 27-24 lead at the end of the first quarter. But the Knicks found their way into the lead by halftime.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM
It was the third quarter where New York started to pull away, getting the lead up to 18 points as the Madison Square Garden crowd went ballistic. The Knicks went on an 18-0 run at one point as well, which was reminiscent of Game 1’s fourth-quarter comeback.
However, Cleveland wasn’t letting off the gas despite the deficit. The Cavaliers cut the 18-point lead in half with around 8:30 left in the fourth quarter, as New York struggled to buy a basket.
KNICKS STORM BACK TO SHOCK CAVS IN GAME 1 AS JAMES HARDEN’S DEFENSIVE PLAY COMES UNDER SCRUTINY
But once OG Anunoby knocked down a three-pointer from the left wing, things were back to normal for the Knicks crowd.
Mikal Bridges, who had a stellar night on both ends of the floor, hit a wide-open three with 6:12 remaining in the fourth that got the lead back up to 13 for the Knicks, and they would coast from there.
Jalen Brunson, the team’s All-Star point guard, was phenomenal in the comeback on Tuesday night, dropping 38 points. But Cleveland made their game plan known right away in this matchup, putting pressure on him to the point where he’d be giving up the rock in double-teams.
As a result, the Cavaliers were fine with Josh Hart taking shots instead. While the plan seemed to work in the first half a bit, Hart found his groove in the second and set a new career high with a team-high 26 points on 10-of-21 shooting, including 5-of-11 from three-point range. He also got on the board with seven assists, four rebounds and two steals.
Meanwhile, Brunson tallied 19 points and dished out a playoff career-high 14 assists for New York. And once again, Karl-Anthony Towns recorded a double-double with 18 points and 13 rebounds, playing efficiently for Mike Brown’s Knicks.
With the lead back up to 18 for the Knicks, all starters were pulled with under two minutes to play, as the crowd gave their squad a standing ovation for a job well done.
The Knicks shot 52% from the field and only saw 14 foul shots all game long, but they held the Cavaliers to just 39% shooting as a team. Cleveland also failed to capitalize on key free throws late in the game, as they were in the bonus with over nine minutes to play. As a team, they shot just 69% (22-of-32) from the charity stripe.
Evan Mobley also had 14 points in the first half, but he curiously didn’t take a single shot in the second half for Cleveland. Donovan Mitchell matched Hart’s 26 points, though he shot 8-of-18. James Harden also went 6-of-15 for 18 points.
With the win, the Knicks have now won nine straight playoff games.
Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.
Latest
Texas Tech booster claps back at Steve Sarkisian after Texas coach takes a shot at Red Raiders
What a week for SEC coaches.
First, new LSU head coach Lane Kiffin went off about the supposed difficulty of the SEC’s schedules, then bragged about his easy non-conference schedules giving him 20 free wins over five years. Incredibly, Kiffin then said that the SEC plays tougher games late in the season, when he gave Ole Miss a free bye week in November by playing The Citadel.
Then Steve Sarkisian, who said undefeated teams were a thing of the past just a few months before the Indiana Hoosiers went 16-0, took his turn at SEC superiority.
According to Anwar Richardson, the Texas Longhorns head coach was speaking at The Touchdown Club of Houston this week and took the opportunity to seemingly criticize his in-state rival Texas Texas Red Raiders. “There’s a team in our state that plays in another conference that has a schedule that I would argue if I played with our twos and our threes,” he said, “We could go undefeated, and they’ll probably make the College Football Playoff this year.”
ZERO BS. JUST DAKICH. TAKE THE DON’T @ ME PODCAST ON THE ROAD. DOWNLOAD NOW!
Wonder who that could be, other than Texas Tech!
Someone else found it exceedingly obvious who Sarkisian was referring to, and took the opportunity to fire right back at the Longhorn coach and his athletic director. In a post on X, billionaire Texas Tech donor Cody Campbell went right to the point.
“Schedule us then!” Campbell replied to a post about Sark’s comments. “We’ve been talking about it for years and we are more than willing!!”
Seems a bit unlikely, especially considering Sark’s comments about scheduling after losing to Ohio State in 2025 and missing out on the playoff. When the Longhorns, at 9-3, didn’t get into the tournament field, he explained that all future scheduling non-conference decisions are now under review.
“Yeah, you know, I think there’s a couple things, there’s layers to this. Bear with my answer,” he explained to the media at the time. “First of all, we’re gonna honor Ohio State and Michigan. You know, that we went there, we went to Ann Arbor, we went to Columbus, and we’re gonna honor those return trips. So for the next two years, we know what our non-conference schedule is gonna look like, and that’s the right thing to do. We made the commitment to play them. Now we’ll honor that commitment for them to come play us here. I think anything beyond that is up for discussion.
“We need to take a good hard look at what our non-conference schedule looks like beyond the next two years.”
To be fair to Sark, no one would seriously argue that Texas Tech has a tougher schedule than Texas. Or even remotely close to Texas. Particularly in 2026. In fact, one ranking system has the Longhorns with the hardest schedule in the country. Obviously, that matters, and it puts him and Texas at a severe disadvantage.
The Texas Tech schedule is weak to say the least:
That said, a lowly Big 12 team, Arizona State, arguably outplayed Texas in the College Football Playoff just a few years ago. Texas Tech is clearly trying to schedule tougher teams, and finding it hard to do. Scheduling is a two-way street, after all, and many other big programs likely don’t want to risk the non-conference loss.
And the Longhorns played in the Big 12, until very recently. As one user on X noted, they went 60-61 in conference play from 2010-2022. They’re a better program now than they were then, but the “we would go undefeated in every other conference” act is getting very tiresome. Particularly when the SEC has struggled so much against other conferences in recent years. Specifically, given how Texas actually played last year.
They lost to 4-8 Florida, one of the worst Power 4 teams in the country. They beat Kentucky, another underwhelming SEC opponent, 16-13 in overtime. They needed a miraculous fourth-quarter comeback to get to overtime with woeful Mississippi State. They scored 27 points against UTEP in a 27-10 win.
By the end of the 2025 season, advanced metric system SP+ had Texas with the 13th toughest strength of schedule, and 16th best strength of record. Texas Tech had the 45th toughest schedule and third-best strength of record, because they didn’t just win games, they won them handily. Like beating a very good Utah team 34-10 on the road. And handling a top-15 caliber BYU team by a combined score of 63-14.
Regardless, Texas likely has the most expensive roster in college football. They’re arguably the richest individual program in the sport. Nobody’s going to feel sorry for them. And with how hard their schedule is, they don’t need to go anywhere near undefeated to reach the playoff anyway.
-
Latest1 month agoVance Leaves Meeting, Looks Straight Into Camera, Announces Stunning Arrest
-
News1 month agoAdam Schiff Facing 30 Years In Prison After Bank Records Leak
-
Latest1 month agoSupreme Curt Sides With Trump — He Can Remove The All
-
News1 month agoAll Hell Breaks Loose On Fox When Jesse Watters Asks Fetterman One Question
-
News1 month agoNBC Stops LIVE Broadcast — Breaks Big Trump News
-
News1 month agoSwalwell Facing Jail Time After Sickening New Video Leaks
-
Latest1 month agoTrump Pulls Off Miracle Of A Lifetime — It’s Permanently Open
-
Latest1 month agoUT Judge Drops Bombshell In Charlie Kirk Killer Case
