Connect with us

Latest

Sanders-backed gubernatorial hopeful’s past pro-life views clash with current abortion stance

Published

on

A Democratic gubernatorial hopeful in Maine, who is scheduled to campaign with Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., on Sunday and Monday, has been pitching himself to voters as a pro-choice candidate for governor, but his track record indicates that wasn’t always his stance.

As a state lawmaker, he received a 100% rating from the Maine Right to Life — a designation indicating a voting record wholly consistent with pro-life policies.

Jackson’s reversal demonstrates the fallout of the Dobbs v. Jackson Supreme Court decision that ended a constitutional right to an abortion and made the issue, previously a federal debate, a state-driven consideration.

In their 2022 decision, the Supreme Court ruled that no guarantee of a right to an abortion existed in the Constitution, meaning that individual states would have to decide on a case-by-case basis where to draw the line under what circumstances residents could legally end a pregnancy.

TIM WALZ TALKS ABORTION DURING FINAL CAMPAIGN RALLY WITH MICHIGAN VOTERS: ‘EVERYTHING IS ON THE LINE’

Maine, with Jackson’s help, immediately passed expansions to abortion access, removing restrictions on late-term abortions.

The move prompted praise for Jackson from Planned Parenthood, the country’s largest abortion provider.

“We applaud President Jackson and the 20 state senators and 76 representatives acting in the best interest of Mainers today,” Planned Parenthood wrote in a press release.

Just 10 years earlier, Jackson had voted for a bill in 2011 that would have affirmed personhood in the womb.

Two years later, in 2013, Jackson also voted to advance counseling requirements for women considering an abortion, providing them with second-opinion resources designed to explore alternatives to ending a pregnancy.

Both of those efforts failed.

PUERTO RICO GOVERNOR SIGNS LAW RECOGNIZING UNBORN BABIES AS HUMAN BEINGS

Even so, they garnered enough attention to put Jackson on the radar of abortion rights groups — and not in a good way.

In 2014, EMILY’s List, a pro-abortion group, launched a six-figure TV ad campaign against Jackson, according to local reporting.

“Politicians should not be involved in a woman’s personal medical decisions about her pregnancy. Period,” Emily Cain, Jackson’s primary opponent in 2014, told the Portland Press Herald.

As recently as October 2022, just four months after the Dobbs decision, Jackson told local reporters he was struggling with the issue.

Since declaring his candidacy for governor last May, Jackson seems to have left that struggle behind.

“The right to decide if and when to start a family is fundamental to our freedom and to who we are as Americans. It is a deeply personal decision that should not be made by politicians or justices,” Jackson said in a post to Instagram last year.

“On the anniversary of the overturning of Roe v. Wade, I will continue to fight back against efforts to undermine abortion rights and stand up for reproductive freedom in Maine,” Jackson wrote.

Sanders, who has supported abortion and has run as a pro-choice candidate for decades, officially endorsed Jackson on Friday, calling him the governor “that working Mainers need.”

“Troy is different,” Sanders said. “Fighting for the working class of Maine is not something new for Troy. That’s what he has done for his entire life as a logger and as a member of the Maine state legislature. Troy knows what’s going on with the working class of Maine because he’s part of that working class.”

‘WE’VE INVITED YOU’: CHRIS WALLACE SPARS WITH GILLIBRAND OVER ABORTION CONTROVERSY

“Troy has also been part of our progressive working class movement from the beginning,” he continued. “He has always stood with those of us who understand that health care is a human right, that workers deserve a living wage, and that we need a government that works for all-not just the ultra-wealthy and well-connected.”

Notably, Jackson does not list abortion access as a top priority on his campaign website.

In Maine, there is no strict cutoff that prevents abortion at any point in a pregnancy, although some protections apply after viability, around the 24 to 26 week mark. Late-term abortions are permissible with the approval of a licensed physician.

Fox News Digital reached out to Sanders and Jackson’s campaign.

Continue Reading

Latest

Donald Trump Jr and Bettina Anderson celebrate private wedding in Bahamas, share sweet personal photo

Published

on

Donald Trump Jr. and Bettina Anderson celebrated their wedding on Saturday in an intimate ceremony on a private island in the Bahamas, surrounded by close family and friends, according to multiple reports.

About 40 guests attended the wedding, including Trump Jr.’s five children and his siblings Ivanka Trump, Eric Trump and Tiffany Trump, along with their spouses. 

Anderson’s family and a small circle of close friends also attended.

DONALD TRUMP JR MARRIES BETTINA ANDERSON AHEAD OF BAHAMAS WEDDING CELEBRATION

“Don and Bettina are wonderful together. I’m so proud to have witnessed so much of their journey as a couple,” Eric Trump told Page Six. 

“They truly light up around each other, and it’s been amazing watching their story unfold. Couldn’t be happier for them on their special day.”

“Bettina and Don Jr. got married on a glorious day in a place where they often visit,” a source told People magazine

The couple reportedly considered holding the wedding at the White House, but ultimately opted for a more low-key celebration amid ongoing tensions due to the war in Iran. 

IVANKA TRUMP AND BETTINA ANDERSON’S CLOSE BOND ON DISPLAY AT MAR-A-LAGO BRIDAL SHOWER

A larger celebration with extended family and friends is expected later this year, with the White House still a possible venue, according to reports.

President Donald Trump said Friday that he would not attend the ceremony, citing official responsibilities in Washington.

“While I very much wanted to be with my son, Don Jr., and the newest member of the Trump Family, his soon-to-be wife, Bettina, circumstances pertaining to Government, and my love for the United States of America, do not allow me to do so,” the president wrote on Truth Social.

CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR OUR LIFESTYLE NEWSLETTER

“I feel it is important for me to remain in Washington, D.C., at the White House during this important period of time.”

The president’s statement came one day after the couple legally married in Palm Beach, Florida.

The wedding follows Donald Trump Jr. and Bettina Anderson’s engagement in December 2025 after roughly a year of dating.

Anderson, 39, is a philanthropist and model who has become a familiar presence at Trump family events in Palm Beach and Mar-a-Lago over the past year.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE LIFESTYLE STORIES

Earlier this year, she celebrated her bridal shower at Mar-a-Lago alongside several members of the Trump family ahead of the wedding festivities.

The Palm Beach estate has hosted multiple high-profile Trump family weddings over the years, including the weddings of President Donald Trump and Melania Trump, as well as Eric Trump and Lara Trump.

Donald Trump Jr., 48, is the eldest son of President Trump and serves as executive vice president of the Trump Organization.

He was previously married to Vanessa Trump from 2005 to 2018, and the former couple share five children together: Kai, Donald III, Tristan, Spencer and Chloe.

Vanessa Trump recently revealed that she’s been diagnosed with breast cancer and is recovering after undergoing a procedure. She said she is staying focused on her health while surrounded by her children and family.

Anderson has not previously been married and does not have children. 

She was previously linked to businessman Beau Wrigley and was reportedly engaged before that relationship ended.

TEST YOURSELF WITH OUR LATEST LIFESTYLE QUIZ

The couple’s relationship has attracted growing public attention as Anderson has increasingly stepped into the Trump family social and political orbit.

Khloe Quill of Fox News Digital contributed reporting. 

Continue Reading

Latest

Jack Osbourne fires back at body shamers calling him ‘grossly underweight’

Published

on

Jack Osbourne is done dealing with body shamers.

The 40-year-old media personality took to Instagram to respond to articles body-shaming him for being “grossly underweight” and calling him “sick,” saying “I cannot believe I’m having to actually make this f—ing video.”

“I have lost no weight since I got out of the jungle doing ‘I’m a Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here!’ six months ago,” he explained. “I’ve been the same f—ng weight. The only difference is I shaved my beard and opted for a creepy mustache. That’s the only f—ing difference.”

He went on to share that he’s been on a weight loss journey for a number of years, and has been “consistently losing weight for the last three and a half years.”

ARIANA GRANDE FIGHTS BACK AGAINST BODY-SHAMERS AS CRITICS COMMENT ON HER WEIGHT DURING ‘WICKED’ PRESS TOUR

At his heaviest, Jack shared that he weighed around 220 pounds and when he saw that number on the scale, “decided that I wanted to make some changes, so I did.”

“What’s the big f–king deal?” Jack added. “I’m five-foot eight-and-a-half and 155 pounds. It is perfectly healthy.”

He later added that he has been “brutalized by the press about being overweight” his entire life and cannot believe that even though he got “down to a healthy weight,” he has been “criticized even more,” telling the journalists and other body shamers that they can “get f–ked.”

Jack is not the only Osbourne who has dealt with people commenting on their body, as his sister, Kelly Osbourne, received backlash after her appearance at the BRIT Awards. After attending the award show, social media users began commenting on her body, with one writing, “Ditch the Ozempic, eat a burger.”

CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR THE ENTERTAINMENT NEWSLETTER

“Looks like a dead body… she’s tooooo thin and fragile.… Looks like she’s going to see her dad soon.”

Kelly posted screenshots of the negative comments, writing “Literally can’t believe how disgusting some human beings truly are,” over the screenshot.

“This is a special kind of cruelty in harming someone who is clearly going through something, kicking me while I’m down, doubting my pain, spreading my struggles as gossip, and turning your back when I need support and love most,” she wrote on her Instagram Stories.

LIKE WHAT YOU’RE READING? CLICK HERE FOR MORE ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

She added that commenting on another person’s body doesn’t show strength, but rather “a profound absence of compassion and character.”

“I’m currently going through the hardest time of my life,” she added. “I should not even have to defend myself. But I won’t sit here and allow myself to be dehumanized in such a way!”

Continue Reading

Latest

Iranian national team to train in Mexico during World Cup after base camp switch, federation leader says

Published

on

As next month’s highly anticipated World Cup approaches, participating nations are finalizing base camps across the tournament’s three host countries to serve as training headquarters during the competition.

The U.S., Canada and Mexico are co-hosting this year’s World Cup.

However, Iran’s national team — which has faced heightened scrutiny leading up to this summer’s World Cup — recently learned it will not be based in the United States once the tournament begins. According to the president of Iran’s soccer federation, the team will instead establish its base camp in Mexico.

ZERO BS. JUST DAKICH. TAKE THE DON’T @ ME PODCAST ON THE ROAD. DOWNLOAD NOW!

Mehdi Taj, president of the Iran Football Federation, announced the decision Saturday in a statement released by the federation’s media relations office. FIFA did not immediately confirm the move.

Iran had been scheduled to train in Tucson, Arizona, but a move has been a possibility because of uncertainty surrounding the war in the Middle East and security concerns. Officials at Tucson’s Kino Sports Complex declined to comment.

WORLD CUP TEAMS FINALIZE US BASE CAMPS AS HOST CITIES PREPARE FOR GLOBAL CROWDS

According to Iran’s soccer federation, the team’s base will now switch to south of the California border to Tijuana, Mexico.

“All team base camps for the countries participating in the World Cup must be approved FIFA,” Taj said in his statement. “Fortunately, following the requests we submitted and the meetings we held with FIFA and World Cup officials in Istanbul, as well as the webinar meeting we had yesterday in the Tehran with the respected FIFA secretary general, our request to change the team’s base from the United States to Mexico was approved.”

Iran plays Group G games at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, California, against New Zealand on June 15 and Belgium six days later, then faces Egypt on June 26 in Seattle. The federation said Tijuana’s relatively close proximity to the Los Angeles area will benefit the team and the new location “includes all training facilities, gym, private restaurant and everything else the team needs.”

Iran’s men’s national team, also commonly referred to as Team Melli, is set to appear in its fourth consecutive World Cup. The team has never advanced beyond the group stage.

Iran’s federation said moving the base camp will resolve potential visa issues since the team will enter the U.S. through Mexico. The president said that the team “may even be able to travel to and from Mexico using Iran Air flights.”

The World Cup opens June 11 and concludes July 19 with the Final at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2026 Political Signal